HPOE Live Webinars
Communities around the country are experiencing challenges in preventing substance use. For some communities prescription drugs and heroin are the major concern while for others it's methamphetamine, synthetics or underage drinking. This joint webinar with the Association for Community Health Improvement shows research behind substance use prevention and presents a real-life example of how Utah is addressing the opioid epidemic and underage drinking in their state.
Dr. Bethany Deeds, from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, provides an overview of how evidence-based prevention can be used to develop policies and interventions to address the needs of our communities. Craig PoVey and Laura Nichols describe how a collaborative effort among Intermountain Healthcare, communities and state officials is working to prevent opioid misuse before it starts, increasing physician awareness about prescribing opioids and collaboratively supporting an underage drinking campaign. Jane Sanville from the Executive Office of the President moderates the panel.
- Understand the basic principles of substance use prevention;
- Understand how research-informed prevention principles can be tailored to address unique community challenges; and
- Learn how a collaborative state-wide approach is strengthening Utah's efforts to reduce the substance use and its consequences.
- Moderator: Jane Sanville, MPH, senior policy analyst, office of national drug control policy, Executive Office of the President
- Bethany Deeds, PhD, prevention branch chief, Division of Epidemiology, Services and Prevention Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Craig PoVey, MSW, prevention administrator, State of Utah, division of substance abuse and mental health
- Lisa Nichols, MSW, community benefit behavioral health director, Intermountain Healthcare
To view the presentation slides only click here.
To view an archive of the presentation, click view item below.
Progress at the Intersection of Patient Safety and Medical LiabilityMarch 2, 2017 Noon - 1 p.m. E......VIEW THIS RESOURCE
There is a critical need to elevate the discussion around workforce planning and development to e......VIEW THIS RESOURCE